Newton's Nook Inky Paws Color Challenge!

Hello everyone and happy monday!
I'm so excited!! Today is my first challenge post as a member of Newton's Nook's Inky Paws Inspiration Team!!  AAHHAHHAH!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited for this?  I love this company, I love Jennifer, and I never tire of using their products, so I can't wait to bring you tons of inspiration for the next 6 months on this team!

The challenge for the next 2 weeks is a color challenge.  Here is what I created:
And here is the inspiration/color theme for the challenge:
This is such a nice summer color combo!  There are so many ways you can use these colors and I know the rest of the ladies on this new inspiration team have created some incredibly awesome projects for you to gaze in awe at!  Be sure to check each of them out on the Newton's Nook Inky Paws page.

For my card, I decided to make a bright and fun background with these colors.  Since I just got the first collection of Distress Oxide inks in the mail, I wanted to give them a try.  I loved all the examples showing how these inks could layer on top of each other and not muddy out.  That would have been a huge problem trying to use the yellow and purple together since those colors combined just make brown...but if they could stay true with the oxides..well why not try!  So I did a couple of tests and then worked on the final background.  And it turned out gorgeous!  I actually did the first layer with just the pink and purple.  Then went back in with the yellow for the second layer and dabbed it into the places I wanted it.  This allowed for the yellow to be a true color instead of mixing in weird ways with the other inks.

Once the background was done and dry, I used some Nuvo Embellishment Mousse through a stencil to get a really shimmery swirl background over top of all the colorful ink.  It really glitzed this card up and made it so sparkly and gorgeous!

Because of all that shimmer, I wanted to keep the other details soft and simple.  So I used more oxide inks and stamped out some of the leaves from Falling into Autumn onto some watercolor paper so I could do a little blending and shading with them before cutting them out and arranging them onto my card front around a dark grey frame.

I also stamped out and white embossed some butterflies from Beautiful Wings onto some vellum and trimmed those out to scatter around my card and over the leaves.

I white heat embossed my sentiment right onto the card front and then mounted it all onto a dark grey frame.  I also added some glossy accent dots here and there around the details...but I learned something interesting....embossing mousse creates a slick surface.  So the glossy accents just slide around on it...and end up moving into places you don't want it....keep that in mind if you ever use any sort of liquid over this mousse.  It will move a little bit!

Fortunately mine didn't move too far and still looked nice on the card :)

Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you find this card inspiring and will join us at Inky Paws for our color challenge!  You have 2 weeks to enter!  Just remember to also use a Newton's Nook product!! <3

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love that background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty Emily! The vellum butterflies are lovely.

    ReplyDelete