Gold Splatters!

Hello!
I want to say a quick welcome to my new followers!  I'm so thrilled that you are here!  Thank you so much!

We have a new challenge starting for you today at Meljen's Designs and it's Splat!  We want to see you use your ink, paints, and mists!

I have been addicted to my paints lately, and having just bought the awesome Gansai Tambi watercolor set from my local craft store, my obsession grew quite a bit more.  So this challenge was super fun for me!
It's a bit different of a card than my normal style...but I really love it!  I was also able to use up another couple of scraps for this card, which is always exciting :)

That gorgeous butterfly (Fancy Butterfly), yeah that was one of my failed attempts for the "cardstock only" challenge at Meljen's a few weeks ago.  It was too pretty all colored for me to throw it out, but it really didn't work on the card I was attempting.  But it fit perfectly for this one!

I started by mixing up some embossing paste with 3 different shades of pink ink from Stampin Up.  Then swiped them over a checkerboard stencil I cut out with my Silhouette so that they formed an ombre pattern.  Looks so cool!

I took a thin scrap of paper and embossed it with some gold embossing powder, then trimmed it down into 3 stripes.  They were going to all be the same size, but my measuring was off and they all ended up different sizes, but it totally worked!

Now for the fun part, which is always something I struggle with...the paint splatters!  It seems no matter how hard I try, I can never get the really good large splats of color down on my paper.  They are always super small little flecks...so I added a few larger ones myself.

Any tips on how to get larger drops?  I tried adding a bunch of water to my brush...but that didn't help either. 

I covered a couple of the drips with glossy accents so they stood out a little more.  The vellum panel is cut with the Landscape Trio from Mama Elephant.  Absolutely love that those can be used for so much more than just landscapes!  It made the perfect wonky rectangle to go behind my butterfly!

The finishing touches were some wire antenna for the butterfly and a simple embossed greeting flag.  All done!  I so so love this card!!

Stop by Meljen's Designs to see the rest of the DT's creations, and then join in the super fun challenge!!

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:
    Addicted to CAS #44-Gold
    A Gem of a Challenge #125-Embossing
    Crafting When We Can #75-Bright Colors
    Sketch Saturday #322

Thanks for visiting! <3

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful card, like those embossed splatters just like they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful card Emily - the butterfly is awesome! Gorgeous colours too!
    Thank you for joining us at ATCAS - Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the stencil,you made and the pink/gold color combo. Thanks for playing at Crafting When You Can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful card! I just love that butterfly. Thanks for playing along with us at Crafting When We Can and good luck. Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous :) I love the ombré pink checkered BG ! Thank you for sharing this at ATCAS, u can also share this at MMCC :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card Emily! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Sketch Saturday! Hugs Deb

    ReplyDelete