One Layer Cards Class - Day 2 Attempts :)

I'm really loving this class!  It's opening my mind up to so many ideas that were never there before!
Yesterday and today's lessons were on optical illusion.  At first I didn't really think I had any stamps that would work for this style of one layer cards...so I was just browsing the class samples and dreaming up ideas for when I did get something that would work.  But once I really started to browse my stash, I realized that one of my Lawn Fawn sets might just do the trick :)
I pulled out the Lawn Fawn Flutter By set that has some really great flowers and butterflies included and tried to work out which would be best for this style card.  I chose one of the larger flowers and set about making my mask template by die cutting out an oval from some scrap paper and washi taping that down.  I also cut out a mask of one of the flowers to help me get the leaves stamped down properly.

Then I just colored it all in with my ShinHan Markers.  I love how it turned out...but...the markers bled a bit more than I expected...so there isn't a nice crisp line around the outside.  That bugged me a little but not enough to ditch the card.  So I rethought my process and tried again.
With this card, I embossed the flowers in white and used some foam sponges to ink the flowers.  I also sponged a really pale yellow around the inside of the oval just to help set it off a little bit more.  Once I stamped my sentiment on the inside, I added some glitter pen so that it sparkled :)

I really love this second card!  It's so soft and dainty!  My only problem is that whenever I heat emboss, my paper gets really warped...and I don't know how to prevent that...

So I turn to you...how do you keep your paper nice and flat when you heat emboss?  Do you have specific little tricks you do or special paper that never warps?  I'd love to learn from you :)

Thanks for stopping by!!! <3

4 comments:

  1. I really like both your cards very much! As for warping the cardstock, I just turn it over and heat it from the other side so the warp goes back the other way. That seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are gorgeous emily.i love the pretty single layer designs ;D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of your cards are beautiful, Emily! Love the yellow outlining on the second card--really makes the flowers pop, in sort of a subtle way. Try letting the heat gun heat up for a few seconds--your powder will melt in less time, so less warping. Also, heavier papers warp less. Gina K has a good one; think it's 120 lb. Several companies have 100 lb. paper now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! Congrats on the CAS Online Class #3 shout out!

    ReplyDelete